Sunday, June 16, 2013

June 16, 1931: Watkins and Frisch Win It With Back 2 Back Jacks

On June 16, 1931, George Watkins and Frankie Frisch hit back to back jacks in the bottom of the ninth inning to propel the Cardinals to a 2-1 win over the Phillies at Sportsman's Park. With one out in the inning Watkins took a 3-2 pitch deep to right to tie it up. The Phillies only needed one more pitch to lose the contest as Frisch stepped to the plate and hit a first pitch bomb that landed on the roof of the right field pavilion. The win swept the Phillies right out of town.

Check Out The Box Score: http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SLN/SLN193106160.shtml


On a sidenote, Happy Father's Day to each and every one of you and your Father's. I know for a lot of us our Father's were instrumental in helping develop a love for sports that we all cherish. If you have the opportunity today to give your dad a big ole hug and thank him for all he has done for you and your life I envy you, my father passed away when I was just 12 years old but I can still remember standing at Busch Stadium with him as a young boy watching the Cardinals play some ball. For me my love for sports began right then and there. Have a great day. Go Cards!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment